About the Company:
COP Construction LLC ("COP"), established in 1947, is a general contractor working predominantly in Montana, Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. COP specializes in the following types of work: bridges, dams, concrete structures, water, sanitary sewer and storm drain utilities, water and sanitary sewer treatment plants, containment ponds, subdivisions, general site work, and recreational facilities. COP works successfully with clients in both the public and private sectors. We are driven by our commitment to safety, excellence and integrity. We employ approximately 200 full-time personnel with a diverse range of expertise. Many of our people have been with the company for decades. With access to this vast resource of experience and knowledge, we have the ability to create the perfect team for every project. Offices are located in Billings, MT, Salt Lake City, UT, and Sheridan, WY, with field offices at project sites.
About the Position:
Strong background in construction of heavy civil construction projects including underground utilities consisting of sewer projects both new and rehab, water projects both new and rehab, storm drain projects, trench shoring and heavy dewatering. The pipe layer is responsible for installing underground pipes, which vary in size from 6”-108” of various types (RCP, PVC, Ductile Iron, Steel, etc.) for residential, civil, and commercial projects. Installation of the pipe includes positioning, joining, and aligning the pipes at proper depths, angles, and grades. The pipe layer is also responsible for rigging and setting concrete precast structures such as, manhole inlet structures, etc. The pipe layer is essential in communicating with other team members regarding the excavating activities associated with installing the pipe to ensure work is performed safety and efficiently.
• Signal equipment operators to ensure a safe and proper excavation has been dug.
• Establish alignment and grade with the use of a laser. Level and grade rod, transit, etc.
• Align and join sections of pipe.
• Coordinate all other activities in the excavation.
• Clear understanding of existing utility locates (staking).
· Strength and Endurance: Pipe Layer positions are physically demanding, and a high level of physical fitness is required.
· Competency: Able to read and understand plans and construction.
· Communication: Excellent interpersonal communication and team work skills are necessary as proper completion of an assigned job and working safe will be highly dependent upon this ability.
· Flexibility: Ability to work in a number of diverse locations is pertinent, as work locations may change daily.
· Coordination: Balance, depth perception and eye-hand coordination are critical.
· Expected Hours: Hours will vary by job, location and season. Working a night shift may be required.
· Work Ethic: Dedicated and hard working.
· Experience: 3+ years of experience as a pipe layer within the construction industry.
Successful candidate must meet all conditions of COP's Drug and Alcohol testing requirements as a condition of employment. Drug/alcohol screening is administered post-offer and pre-employment.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), both the analysis of work and the position description must focus on essential functions and what are actually required and not the ways they are currently or customarily performed. “The term essential function means the fundamental job duties of the employment position the individual with a disability holds or desires.” (Reference 29 CFR §1630.2(n)(1).) The physical demands for this position is as follows: stretching, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling; reaching, handling, smelling, talking, hearing; seeing; or other demands.
COP provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. COP complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
COP participates in E-Verify, click here to learn more